3/16/2007

Perspectives

Each of us takes our experience and knowledge to judge and react to information we receive. Sometimes I forget that being 6 one may not have an understanding to comprehend outcome or issues that may arrive.

This morning on the way out the door my daughter asked what a poacher was. However she did not verbalize the word correctly and I being slow with very poor hearing had no clue what she was talking about. Hence we spent few minutes back and forth until she told me where she heard the term. A DVD on nature talked about poachers, hence we put the DVD in I finally figured out what she meant.

I clearly explained the meaning of the word to her. Then she burst into tears. My thought was she was upset with poachers, I would be wrong. After some consoling I got her to tell me what was wrong.

"How will I talk with you when you are deaf?" My hearing has slipped over the last few months to a point that if you tell me things out of context of a conversation I have a tough time figuring out what you said. I think this happens a lot with conversation with her, being 6; context is not always there for me. More and more I find myself not understanding what she says. And she is sad and frustrated trying to communicate with me.

She is worried and I have no clue how to reassure her that it will be okay. That even deaf we will be able to communicate. I try and ignore reality of that future. For me it is years away for her it feels tangible and it scares her. Now I must figure out how to reassure her all will be okay. Even if I am unsure myself.

Thoughts and knowledge to process. Each perspective is different and important. Hoping to find more.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell her you don't need to hear to tell her you love her and know that she loves you... hugs and smiles speak louder than words... then tell her that if you love each other you will always understand her

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home/Hide Comment